Since the failed coup attempt in 2016, Turkish government has been carrying out profound human rights violations against hundreds of thousands of people – from arbitrary deprivation of the right to work and to freedom of movement, to torture and other ill-treatment, arbitrary detentions and infringements of the rights to freedom of association and expression.
AST, deeply concerned about Turkey’s government’s disregard of human rights, has been organizing The Freedom Convention since 2020. Remarking on the international covenants, of which Turkey is a state party, this year the convention will address the arbitrary deprivation of civil and political rights and crack down on freedom of expression in Turkey.
Participants and experts will also discuss international humanitarian law in today’s world and conflict related abuses including Ukraine case and pushbacks in Greece.
Thus, as a unique event focused on Turkey, Freedom Convention 2022 will bring ongoing violations and persecutions in Turkey to the global attention and provide a platform for strategies and recommendations to end those violations.
Session 1 – Arbitrary Deprivation of Civil and Political Rights in Turkey
December 10, 9-10.30 AM EST
- Kani Xulam – American Kurdish Information Network – USA
- Meral Simsek – Journalist & Author – Germany
- Levent Maziliguney – Lawyer – Turkey
- Abdullah Demirbas – Politician, Former Mayor of Sur Municipality – Switzerland
- Mahsuni Karaman – Lawyer – Turkey
- Katrina Lantos – President, Lantos Foundation for Human Rights & Justice – USA
Session 2 – Crackdown on Freedom of Expression in Turkey
December 10, 11.00 AM -12.30 PM EST
- Mohamed Shafie – Legal Consultant & Robert Glidden Visiting Professor, Ohio University – South Africa
- Gokhan Toy – Lawyer, Institute for Diplomacy and Economy – Canada
- Levent Kenez – Journalist – Sweden
- Bulent Kenes – Journalist – Sweden
Session 3 – International Humanitarian Law in Today’s World & Conflict Related Abuses
December 10, 1.00 -2.30 PM EST
- Sideris Anthimos – Lawyer – Greece
- Lyudmyla Kozlovska – President, Open Dialogue Foundation – Belgium
- Tony Pillay – Director, Law Society of South Africa – South Africa
- Vonya Womack – Director, Refugees Unknown Stories Untold – USA
Freedom Convention 2022 with 15 great speakers will be live on Saturday December 10th on the International Human Rights Day. Details of the convention will be announced soon. #FreedomConvention pic.twitter.com/uXUeGLyGbh
— Advocates of Silenced Turkey (@silencedturkey) December 6, 2022